On 04/10/2018 09:29 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 09:07:47PM -0700, Terry Coats wrote:
My provider's dns was slow so I haven't used them in quite a while.
lfs SVN-20180323 running unbound /etc/resolv.conf is
I asked because I had read your mail as suggesting you were not
using google on the svn (unbound) build.

# Begin /etc/resolv.conf

domain sierra
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

# End /etc/resolv.conf

lfs 8.0 not running unbound /etc/resolv.conf is

# Begin /etc/resolv.conf

domain madilee
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

The different domain names look odd - all my (home) boxes are in the
same domain and I have not found a reason to set a domain name.

Also, unless you are actually running a nameserver on localhost (or
maybe you have a blacklist in /etc/hosts) I would omit that line.

# End /etc/resolv.conf

Another problem I've seen is sometimes when booting lfs SVN-20180323
when it gets to the part to start unbound the process will hang for a long
time until it eventually gives up and the boot continues but I will get the
problem of not having any dns working. The network will be up and show
me connected to the router but no dns. I'm an experienced linux user and
can usually figure things out but this one has me stumped. I'll work around
it by configuring everything manually but I like to solve problems and know
why things don't work right. I've rarely seen the google dns down so I don't
believe I have a problem there.

I agree that google being down is not common.  For unbound taking a
long time and then failing to start I have no idea - unless you are
asking for a dhcp address and there is some delay in that.  I used
to use dhcp, but now I normally have static addresses on my wired
machines and I don't think I've tried using unbound with dhcp.

ĸen
I've removed the domain line for both /etc/resolv.conf's.
I've removed the nameserver 127.0.0.1 line from the one resolv.conf.
I think it was there because the book instructions said to put it there for unbound.
I don't use dhcp. I set up a static ip for both systems.
I've removed unbound from both lfs 8.0 and lfs SVN-20180323
so it won't be causing problems anymore. I don't know why
I was even running it. I think it's listed as a dependency of something
but I don't remember what. Anyway, I'm sorted out now.
I still don't understand what unbound was doing to cause problems
but it doesn't matter now. It'll have to remain a mystery.
Thanks.