Don't listen to the screen reader while it reads lines. Wait until it stops then use the keys you normally use to check out the characters on the screen. The first thing to do when the screen reader stops reading is to locate any @ signs. One of these is going to be you. Others are either vault guards; shopkeepers, or shape-shifters. Then do a / command and Identify each one of them as well as any monsters near you. If you know your screen location the monsters screen location is given in the same way so you can find direction and distance from you that way. These games involve at least as much strategy as killing monsters so if I get lucky with equipment finds or increases in experience levels or finding a down staircase, often I'll save the game and come back to it and start playing it later.

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018, dark wrote:

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 12:56:59
From: dark <d...@xgam.org>
To: blind-gamers@groups.io
Subject: Re: [blind-gamers] unnethack

I know about the nethaccess file, but whenever I've ried the map has been impossible to make sense of since screen readers read text in lines and getting a line that says dot dot dot hash dot dot dot dot bar dot dot doesn't tell me much, indeed the only roguelike I've ever had success playing was Angband and that due more to a combination of usable large graphic tyles and my remaining vision than anything in the game itself.

This is why we don't list roguelikes on audiogames.net since until someone comes out with that full screen braille display they're always going to be a pain in the arse to play.

All the best,

Dark.

--

View/Reply Online (#118932): https://groups.io/g/blind-gamers/message/118932