Hello all,

We regret that we have to pass along some very bad news to all of you:

we are going to have to put the production of Sable and our first
game--Crimson Eclipse--on hold.

Without going into excruciating detail, we have discovered that BGT has an
inherent issue with memory management, in other words, memory leaks. This
memory issue isn't as noticeable in most games created using BGT, given that
they don't require large amounts of data to be saved/loaded into/out of RAM
using the scripting language's built-in memory management functions. On the
other hand, game projects created using Sable are not hard-coded, but are
frequently reading/writing to numerous external data files. This difference
in process is where BGT's memory management functions do not work properly
and why we have the potential for severe memory leak issues. After some
investigative tinkering with Sable's source code our programmer  Paul was
able to optimize the application a little. Unfortunately, the optimizations
just weren't enough. Since the memory issues are inherent to BGT itself and
not Sable, no matter how much we optimise, they cannot ever be completely
overcome.

During our team meeting on 1 February, we discussed our best course of
action. After some soul-searching, we decided that we needed to suspend all
operations on both Sable and Crimson Eclipse. We do not want to release a
product that has the potential to crash any of your computers. If someone
did that to us, we'd be pissed and want to go running for the torches and
pitchforks. We decided, that no matter how painful and soul-destroying it is
for us personally, we will not release any sort of commercial product
written in BGT.

At the moment, we have decided to step back for a little while and catch our
breath. We need to give ourselves time to recover and think things through
before we decide on our next course of action. We still want to create both
quality developer tools and games with those tools, but we will need to
reconsider our approach. The good news is that we learned a lot over these
many years that we worked on Sable and Crimson Eclipse. We know what, and
what not, to do in the future and have a better understanding of how not to
make a nonsense out of this. So don't count us out of the game yet.

After some additional back-and-forth, we decided that we will release the
current build of Sable but  only for a limited 8 week period, similar to
what we did when we released the public beta in 2020. We appreciate this
isn't a perfect solution, but we know many of you were keen to try Sable and
We didn't want to deny you that opportunity. Furthermore, we are hoping that
any of you that do want to play around with this proof-of-concept version of
BGT Sable can pass along any suggestions that you think we ought to consider
for a new version of the application. Again though, we need to emphasize
that this version of Sable has those memory leak issues, so use at your own
risk, also any projects created  during the release will be lost and
unusable after the 8  week period. the link can be found at the bottom of
the post.

We want to conclude this message by repeating our apology to all of you who
have been waiting for us to put out Crimson Eclipse and/or the public
release of Sable. We accept the fact that many of you will be sad,
disappointed, pissed off or some combination of those emotions. We are
prepared to take it on the chin, but we do hope that you will not lose your
trust in us. Ebon Sky Studios exists to serve the community-that's all of
you-and without that community, we are nothing.

Sable download link below, please read the full details on the download page
before running Sable:

https://ebonskystudios.com/download-sable-demo/

The Ebon Sky Studios Team:

Paul Lemm - Programmer

Justin Jones - Game Designer

Thaddeus Podtepa - Game Designer

Brian Fairbanks - Sound Designer

Kelly Baughman - Volunteer Project Manager