I have a natural gas water heater in the garage. I'm concerned about its 
efficiency. The reason is that the cold and hot water pipes go straight up 
from the top of the water heater. There are no curves whatsoever. They look 
like 2 rods going straight up into the ceiling. Heat rises and I'm concerned 
lots of it is being lost through the pipes. I saw on a web site specifically 
talking about water heaters something that says put an inverted u on the 
cold and hot lines or put in ball valves. This will prevent the heat from 
being lost. Now, here's what I thought about doing.
Take a short piece of pipe and screw it into the top of the heater. Put a 90 
degree elbow and another short piece of pipe. Put another 90 degree elbow 
onto this and a 3rd short piece of pipe. Another elbo and a 4th piece, then 
one more elbow and a short piece for the flex hose to connect to. In other 
words: 5 pieces of short pipe connected by 4 90 degree elbows, the bottom 
connecting to the heater, the top connecting to a copper flex hose. Speaking 
of the hose, it is just long enough to reach the heater as it is currently. 
Would this work as a heat trap? I would imagine in theory, it should since 
the heat is being blocked by a few 90 degree turns. Also, I have plans at 
some point to insolate the hot water lines in the house, which I know will 
improve efficiency.
One more question concerning raising the heater. Could cinder blocks be used 
as a deck to raise the heater to 18 inches above the ground? I know you can 
buy stands for this, but thought it would be fun to build one that will 
accommodate this heater, plus heaters in the future. I initially thought of 
making the stand out of wood, but a friend suggested concrete as the best 
material, since it don't burn. One more thing, I know to raise the heater, 
water lines and vents need to be cut for this to work. Also, there's a 
possibility the gas line will have to be adjusted. Fortunately, it looks 
like they used the flexible stuff for the gas line, so that may not be an 
issue. Just have to see. Thanks for any info.

Shane 



To listen to the show archives go to link
 http://acbradio.org/handyman.html
or
ftp://ftp.acbradio.org/acbradio-archives/handyman/

The Pod Cast address for the Blind Handy Man Show is.
http://www.acbradio.org/news/xml/podcast.php?pgm=saturday

The Pod Cast address for the Cooking In The Dark Show is.
http://www.gcast.com/u/cookingindark/main.xml

Visit The Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various List 
Members At The Following address:
http://www.jaws-users.com/handyman/

Visit the new archives page at the following address
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/  
For a complete list of email commands pertaining to the Blind Handy Man list 
just send a blank message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blindhandyman/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blindhandyman/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to