sometimes it's made using parts that require tools that are only sold to
repair shops that sign a contract that they will not have the tools
copied.
Or in the case of an amp company I know. They had a chip of some kind made
for them, bought the whole supply Motorola made and put an agreement of a
number of years on Motorola to not produce that spec or function chip.
That's why that particular $7 chip is $50 and available fe places
elsewhere. Spectral amps did that with every chip they used I believe.
Then they give you that garbage that only one company's wire should be
used with their amps.
I buy them out of waranty, for as they are extremely good their attitude
disevowes their deserving full retail.