Well first we'll all send our appreciation and pray for the best for your son.

As for your water problem, you can probably look through the archives and find
a bunch on this topic.  We've run it around many times.

The immediate suggestion would be to pick up a wet dry shop vac while they'll
be on sale this season.  I've used them many times in a flooding situation and
the stronger ones will pull the water from carpet and help in drying it from
pulling a vacuum on the carpet itself.

As for outside, there are lots of places you can start.

Do you have gutters?  Are they clean?  Is there a downspout on that corner?  If
there is a downspout, make sure it is able to empty without restriction to the
flow.  If draining is free flowing, you may want to extend the end several feet
from the house.

It sounds like the house is built on a concrete pad so you don't have the
problem of cement blocks filling and leaking into the house below ground level.

There are various things that can be applied to cement block to water proof it,
but that is only a bandade over the problem.  The problem is the need to drain
water away from the house before it can build up and soak through.

What you will need to do first is look at the ground itself on the corners
where the water comes into the house.  The lay of the land needs to be higher
at the house and then slope away.  If the ground is less than level it will
collect water there.

My first thoughts would be to dig a shallow trench around the outside and lay
drain tile.  Drain tile is just 4 inch or larger plastic pipe with holes about
half way around  the pipe.  The holes need to face up so water can get in the
pipe and be carried away.

Shallow trench as in 8 to 12 inches.  You would make a trench that has a gentle
slope like a quarter inch per foot, fill the bottom with a couple inches of
gravel, lay drain tile on the gravel and then fill the rest of the trench with
gravel so the drain tile is covered.  Then you can use the remaining dirt to
cover the gravel and form a slope away from the house for the water to run off.

Lots of us have done projects like this and my way is to wrap the drain tile
with a fabric before putting in the ground.  The fabric works as a type of
filter keeping dirt and sand from washing into the tile and clogging it.

Of course the tile has to continue away from the house for a ways before
emptying out or you'll just move the problem somewhere else along the side of
the house.  So you'll also have to decide where the lowest point is, and put in
a T or elbow to run more pipe away from the house.

Here is an idea to get you started and I'm sure more will follow.  Good luck