I've seen the ones that have the lever coming out of the wall.  I've never seen 
one with a key though.  

In any event finding out a name is the best place to start.  You might also 
want to Google chimney sweeps in your zip code.  A certified chimney sweep will 
be most familiar with a damper.  You can tell them you're Mary Poppins or 
something...
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Jennifer 
  To: [email protected] 
  Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 11:04 PM
  Subject: RE: [BlindHandyMan] fireplace flute


  I Like useless trivia. :-)

  So, I guess the thing I am talking about is used to move the damper. There
  is an opening for it on the outside of the fireplace and something that
  sticks in it to make it move. I have felt a couple of other fireplaces that
  are similar to mine and where there is a removeable Piece that looked like
  keys in that they are about that size and stick in the slot. The one on my
  only other fireplace was not removeable, and looked more like a lever.

  I think I need to have someone help me look for a manufactuer's mark or
  something and go from there. I will let you all know what I find out. I
  also will at least have a better handle on the terminology when I contact
  them. 

  Jennifer

  =

  _____ 

  From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
  On Behalf Of Bob Kennedy
  Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 8:38 PM
  To: [email protected]
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] fireplace flute

  The part that opens and closes is actually the damper. The flue, and I was
  spelling it wrong too, but the flue is the liner to the chimney. 
  Probably more information than anyone wanted to know but I specialize in
  useless trivia...

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Jewnnifer Jackson 
  To: blindhandyman@ <mailto:blindhandyman%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com 
  Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 1999 10:33 PM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] fireplace flute

  That probably is what I mean. :) I asked someone else how to spell it and he
  probably assumed I meant the instrument, not the fireplace part. I just
  assumed that was what it was really called. I always thought people were
  saying something more like "flu." Communication can fail so easily. :)

  Anyway the part that opens and closes inside the chimney pipe area to let
  air in.

  Jennifer

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Jeff Kisecker 
  To: blindhandyman@ <mailto:blindhandyman%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com 
  Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 8:33 PM
  Subject: RE: [BlindHandyMan] fireplace flute

  I think she means a floom.

  _____ 

  From: blindhandyman@ <mailto:blindhandyman%40yahoogroups.com>
  yahoogroups.com [mailto:blindhandyman@
  <mailto:blindhandyman%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com]
  On Behalf Of William Stephan
  Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 5:06 PM
  To: blindhandyman@ <mailto:blindhandyman%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
  Subject: RE: [BlindHandyMan] fireplace flute

  OK, I have to ask.. what is a flute?

  I'm in the process of getting quotes on having a gas log lighter installed,
  so I'm curious about all thing fireplace right now.

  -----Original Message-----
  From: blindhandyman@ <mailto:blindhandyman%40yahoogroups.com>
  yahoogroups.com [mailto:blindhandyman@
  <mailto:blindhandyman%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com]
  On Behalf Of Ray Boyce
  Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 02:26
  To: blindhandyman@ <mailto:blindhandyman%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
  Subject: RE: [BlindHandyMan] fireplace flute

  Hi Jennifer

  Contact the Fireplace Manufacturer to ask them what is the procedure for
  obtaining a replacement key. or get a Locksmith in to cut you a new key

  Do you know who used to live there, and where they are now if so give them a
  call to see if they still have or know where it is.

  Regards

  Ray

  From: blindhandyman@ <mailto:blindhandyman%40yahoogroups.com>
  yahoogroups.com [mailto:blindhandyman@
  <mailto:blindhandyman%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com]
  On Behalf Of Jennifer
  Sent: Saturday, 13 December 2008 5:24 PM
  To: blindhandyman@ <mailto:blindhandyman%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
  Subject: [BlindHandyMan] fireplace flute

  Hey Guys,

  We bought our house last year and did not get the key to the flute on the
  fireplace. Does anyone know where or how I get something like this
  replaced?

  Jennifer

  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



   

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply via email to