  From: Spiro
  To: Blind Handyman Listserv
  Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2009 11:03 PM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Physics and Cooking Go Together

  a thermometer that can measure the temp to a degree or two less than
  boiling, then let the bag sit.
  Most coffee and tea makers use about 208f.

  On Thu, 8 Jan 2009, Victor wrote:

  > Hi All you Physics Buffs,
  >
  > I boil my water for Tea in my microwave, and I usually leave the tea bag in
the water as it's heating up.

  > On occasion, a certain amount of water, that is very hard to gauge,
triggers a boiling over of the water, to the point that I am left with little
water in the cup, which is plastic, by the way, and a tonne of water on the
microwave tray.

  > I know that if one places salt in the water, this will prevent the boiling
over, but is there something else that will not make my tea taste like a salt
mine? Grins.

  > Is there something in the water, or in the microwave that I can put to
prevent the boiling over of the water?