Dan, I have a little dell mini with blue tooth keyboard and mouse.  I use it on
a hd TV that is a 22 inch.  The only problem I have found is when operating the
DVD player and using the TV, I have got to have the external power supply on.
It does not have the battery power to push everything for very long periods of
time.  I think a nice laptop with a 256 video card with hdmi out would be just
the ticket for even the really big screen TVs.  If it was wireless, you could
network everything from your main computer.  My mini shares my main computer
items that I have selected to allow it to share, nothing more.  All goes thru
the wireless network.  Having a separate computer for the TV that would be next
to it would be nice.