Most of you are all probably correct about not being a good idea for
Jennifer to use that  light fisture but lets  go back a few years to
yes" when I was a kid". when  most houses  had a single  white
porcelain  fixture on the wallor celing for  at most a 60 watt bulb.
Now in my  basement I bet I have   more than one foot of  adapters
that were used on  or in those  fixtures.  all of them would   screw
into the fixture like a light bulb.  some of them had a pull chain
and some of them you could plug in two  other things and still runn a
light bulb.  others were a single screw in    adapter so you could
instead of having a bulb plug in something.  and others yet  are like
a  Y connection so you could run not one but two light bulbs. I
remember when I could see all those adapters  were brown in color. of
course most people  do not use those anymore as someone  figured  out
they would cause a  circut to over heat. this goes back when at our
main box  did not have  a circut breaker but a simple screw in fuse. .
just thought I would stir up   the memories   of those    who are old
enough to remember  and that woujld be the baby boomers and  older.  Lee

On
Sat,
Jan
23, 2010 at
08:41:37PM -0600, Ron Yearns wrote:
> The house wiring going to the light fixture junction box is likely the same
> size as the rest of the house.  However the fixture wires are much smaller
> usually a number 18 which is good for about 5 amps.  So if you just screwed
> something into the socket as the old style adapters you have a 5 amp wire and
> no ground.
> Ron

The duck hunter trained his retriever to walk on water.  Eager to show off
this amazing accomplishment, he asked a friend to go along on his next
hunting trip.  Saying nothing, he fired his first shot and, as the duck fell,
the dog walked on the surface of the water, retrieved the duck and returned
it to his master.
        "Notice anything?" the owner asked eagerly.
        "Yes," said his friend, "I see that fool dog of yours can't swim."
.