Hi Dan

Step One

(Refer to Figure 1.)  Connect the ground (bare wire) wire to the device box
and cut it off approximately one inch past the ground screw.

Connect the black wire to one screw and the white wire (hot) to the other
screw on the switch.

Figure 1.

Note: This is the only time that you want to use a white wire as the "hot"
conductor. This is done so you are left with a black and a white wire at the
light instead of two whites to hook up to your light.

Step Two

(Refer to Figure 2.)  Usually you will have a 2 conductor #14
<http://www.electrical-online.com/Lightsandswitches.htm> cable coming from
the light box to the switch box. Conductor is a fancy word for wire and #14
is the size of wire you will use throughout 95% of your house.

Figure 2.

At the light box (octagon box) connect the black wire from the switch to the
black wire of the light. Also connect the white wire from the switch to the
black conductor coming from the breaker.

Found here

http://www.electrical-online.com/Lightsandswitches.htm