From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:blindhandy...@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Dan Rossi
Sent: Friday, February 05, 2010 2:19 PM
To: Blind Handyman List
Subject: [BlindHandyMan] Wiring a switch.

Not that I have any immediate plans of rewiring, but this question popped
in my head. I think I've seen a comment about this here before.

If you are wiring a switch to a light fixture, do you:

#1: Run a set of wires from the power source to the switch, and a set of
wires from the switch to the light fixture. In this case, connecting both
blacks to the switch terminals, and tieing the two whites together? Do
you just stuff the white splice in the box with the switch?

#2: Run a set of wires from the power source to the light fixture, and a
set of wires from the switch to the light fixture. In this case, The
white from the power would connect to the white on the light, and the two
switch wires would be connected between the black power, and black light
wires. It technically wouldn't matter which orientation you connected the
switch wires, but is there a standard? I mean, black power, to black
switch, then white switch to black fixture.

#3: I assume this one is definitely wrong, but similar to #2. Run power
directly to the light fixture, then just interrupt the black wire at some
point with the switch wires.

I believe choice #1 is the correct option, but is choice #2 against code?

Choice #3 seems to be the most efficient use of wire, no parallel runs of
wire, but would make it a pain in the ass to ever trace an issue since you
wouldn't necessarily know where the switch spliced into the power line.

Just a thought for the day.

--
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi