Do you have icicles hanging from your eves? If not you will probably be OK.

If I was Han Solo I'd probably pet my wookie
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dan Rossi
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:07 PM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Great idea.

  Well, this was all good fun anyway. Yes, your run of the mill hand held
  torch will do very little against any real mass of ice, as many people in
  the area are finding out. My neighbors and I have kicked around a number
  of concepts for bleeding off the water in the ice dams along our
  roof-lines. Anywhere from hooking up a hose to the hot water tap and
  strapping the hose to a long pipe. To dumping calcium chloride in a few
  key spots.

  I personally know three people who have already had major ceiling damage
  caused by ice dams on their roofs.

  There are some pretty serious icicles hanging off the buildings around
  campus. Apparently, one building has icicles that grew curved due to some
  strong wind funneling in the area. My buddy says they are about 8 to 10
  feet long and curved so they look like a long row of pretty serious teeth.

  Oh well. Guess I'll just go out with a shovel over the weekend and hack a
  path through the worst parts of the sidewalks.

  --
  Blue skies.
  Dan Rossi