I'll assume you got an electric water heater?  If you got a new model, you
don't want to do much repairing since that can void the warranty.

the first thing that would occur to me is to check both thermostats.  It's a
bit dangerous but you will need to make sure there is power to both of them.
While they are open, you will also want to be sure both are within 10 degrees
of each other.

The other thing I've seen is while installing the unit, someone turns on the
power before the tank is full.  That will cook either element that isn't under
water yet.  And unfortunately, that is what it sounds like may have happened.
It sounds like you have one element working and one that isn't.

Go through the steps of checking everything you can.  Hopefully you have a
double pole, 220 volt breaker and not 2 110 volt breakers.  But if you have
individual breakers, make sure both are on.  Then check for power at the
thermostats, and the temps are within 10 degrees.  If all of that checks out,
I'm afraid that an element may have been cooked and it will need replacing.

There is one other  bit of hope.  You may have gotten one of the smart models
and it just isn't set correctly yet.  Whirlpool makes these kinds, and you have
to adjust the temp on the little panel on top.  It may be set to vacation or
something that doesn't require a lot of heat.  And you do have to set the
thermostats through the panel as well.  This will take some sighted help though.