F12 is completely arbitrary and has no meaning outside of stupid Jaws. And to answer the question of people who speak different languages using different mnemonics, this is completely fair, but should be addressed by maybe having different default mnemonics for different languages, not by picking something completely arbitrary and illogical simply because someone else on an entirely different OS and screen reader has chosen to go down an illogical and counterintuitive path. Again, if you want to use an arbitrary illogical key combination to tell you the time, by all means do it, as there is nothing stopping you from making orca+control+alt+shift+escape do it if that's your thing. All I'm saying is to leave the logical mnemonic as the default, because most of us who use Orca regularly prefer it that way, as it's easier to remember and makes a lot more sense, and can be easily changed if we ever desire to do so.
~Kyle