On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm...@cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> GeoffH has made a useful suggestion (on the BO Stack Overflow,
> http://blueobelisk.stackexchange.com/questions/231/what-formats-fall-into-open-specification)
> which I'd be happy to take as a starting point.

Likewise...

> -----
> If [a spec/standard] is freely modifiable, then it's likely to fragment.
> Look at HTML for an example.
>
> OpenSMILES is, perhaps, an interesting example, since there's an open group
> working on the specification. But the same is true of HTML.

Interestingly... you could argue that OpenSMILES is a fork of SMILES.
That is, SMILES is sufficiently open to even allow OpenSMILES.

> The phrases should probably be something like:
>
> openly shared and distributed
> open to multiple implementations
> open to improvement

The latter is to me a rather important part: allowing modification. We
formalize this by means of licenses in Open Source, and by means of
waivers and licenses in Open Data. *But* for both we reached the
consensus that the right for modification should be formalized.

> In short, there's a mechanism to clarify implementation details (and/or a
> set of validation tests), and some sort of community process.
>
> I'm still not sure if you can avoid HTML (or PDB or SDF) fragmentation. But
> I think that's in line with what you're suggesting.

I am not worried about fragmentation. Human habits is not to favor
small project and small forks; instead, the best 'fork' wins.

> Calling it "freely modifiable" seems like the wrong tone.
> ---

How so?

> I like this because it emphasizes community norms instead of formal
> licences. [I'd suggest the last reads "open to improvement through community
> processes."]

The Panton principles promote formality in Open Data. Please explain.

> We've been going through this process for Open Data and are
> launching the "Panton Principles" today - http://pantonprinciples.org/. [I
> hope the BO feels they are useful for its OpenData]

Everyone can endorse the PPs via the above linked website.

> The nearly-2-years discussion has emphasized the inappropriateness of
> licences for data.

Yet the PP suggest to use a recognized license (or waiver). Please explain.

> Instead it is more useful to the authors and the
> community to express what they feel is important and to iterate toward a
> rough consensus. In my own case of CML I completely sign up to all Geoff's
> suggestions. CML is sharable and distributable, there are several
> coordinated multiple implementations and there is a community process (open
> mailing list, contributors from outside the authorship). The balance between
> fragmentation and innovation is a difficult one and can be best be managed
> through open discussion and creation of software artifacts.

This is how it works for Open Source too, and soon Open Data likely
too. I see no reason why allowing 'modification' would immediately
cause heavy fragmentation, and loss of momentum; I do not understand
the source of this fear... did I miss an important example where
allowing this caused the specification project to die?

Peter, it's been too long since I visited your group, and the last
time I only chance to talk to Nico... I'm a bit lost in following your
argumentation, and see several inconsistencies, resulting from not
being able to follow your thinking... and, I'm eager to get things
clear, because I am pretty sure we are still on the same line...

Grtz,

Egon

--
Post-doc @ Uppsala University
Proteochemometrics / Bioclipse Group of Prof. Jarl Wikberg