== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Wed, Sep 5 2007 3:17 am
From: "Dr.Prahalathan KK, BM Chennai"

Kanini

Kanini, was launched by the Chennai chapter, earlier this year and has been
steadily working towards its goal of 'igniting young minds to the endless
possibilities of computers'.

The project is currently going on successfully at

.         Anbu Karangal Orphanage, Thiruvanmiyur
http://picasaweb.google.com/BhumiChennai/KaniniAnbuKarangal

.         SOS Village, Tambaram
http://picasaweb.google.com/BhumiChennai/KaniniSOSHomes

The Project is all set to launch between 8th to 16th September at

.         Jeroham Orphanage, Madipakkam are some of the orphanages in which
the programme has tasted success, and Kanini is set to extend its reach to
more orphanages in the near future.

Kanini (which means Computer in Tamil) aims to teach the basics of computer
science, achieving this over a few hours of classes every weekend, spread
across a period of approximately four months. Kanini's volunteer-teachers
employ a mix of theory, practical and feedback sessions to ensure that the
programme has the desired impact on the children.

Members involved: Ayyanaar, Hari Shankar, Mallieswaran, Prahalathan,
Purnendu, Vaishnavi, Anand & Indumathi

Teaching Program @ Jeroham Orphanage

Spoken English classes and regular tuitions are being conducted on a regular
basis.

Members involved: Arun, Karthik K & Prakash

Independence Day Celebrations

Independence Day was celebrated @ Govt. Girls Higher Secondary school,
Doveton, Purasawalkam, Chennai. Mission Dhwaja Samaan pamphlets were
distributed to those present. After the flag hoisting a Tamil oratorical
competition on freedom was held and prizes distributed.
http://picasaweb.google.com/BhumiChennai/IndependenceDay2007

Decisions taken at Chapter meeting held on 4 August 2007

.         Hari Shankar was elected to represent the chapter in the National
Council instead of Gyan

.         To organise a Blood Donation camp at IIT and an organ Donation
Awareness campaign in August/September.

.         To explore means to start a Road Safety Campaign. To spread
knowledge about fines and rules to act as a deterrent for road users and to
prevent fleecing by the traffic police.

.         To add basic internet usage to Kanini's curriculum and to get a
portable internet connection for shared use among the centres.

Vande Mataram!

Prahalathan
 <http://www.prahalathan.blogspot.com/> http://www.prahalathan.blogspot.com/

 <http://www.bhumichennai.co.nr/> www.BhumiChennai.co.nr

India at 60, Better than yesterday,
But, not as good as tomorrow!

TOPIC: Annual Works Report on Social Governance (LG & DES Group) -- Part-One
http://groups.google.com/group/BM_discussion/browse_thread/thread/122cbc879bc615ce?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Fri, Sep 7 2007 12:32 pm
From: "Social Ownership"

An Annual Works Report (September 2006 - September 2007) in Khagaria, Bihar
on
SOCIAL GOVERNANCE

By
Madhuri Sewa Nyas
(Local Governance & Decentralized Economy Social Group)
(you can click the blue links to visit direct webpages)

**

* Self-Sustained Social Models *<www.localgovernance.org/workreport001msn1.html>
* * <www.localgovernance.org/workreport001msn1.html>*of Social Governance;
Society Owned Education, Economy and Health
Systems*<www.localgovernance.org/workreport001msn1.html>

Khagaria District is one of the most backward and naturally very critical
regions of the country. There are seven big and perennial rivers in this
small district. The King Todarmal, the treasurer of Mughal Empire, did not
show this region in his revenue map measurements due to very critical
geography of this region. From that time, this region is being termed as *
FARAKIA* (*FARAKIA* means separate from mainstream). For this region, it has
been accepted that it cannot be developed thus it should not be developed.
This region is one of most flood-affected regions of the country. Because of
*FARAKIA* region, none of the centralized political or market systems was
interested to work and still they are not interested to work for this
region.

We got this region as Fertile Society for Social Governance Models because
it is a FARAKIA region from mainstream. In Khagaria District of Bihar, we
are working to establish Self-Sustainable-Social-Models of Social
Governance, Society Owned Education System, Society Owned Health Systems and
Social Economy. Twenty One (21) Technical Training, Professional Training
and Vocational Training Institutes and Institutes for Global Peace and
Brotherhoods; are being established in the holy land of Khagaria, District.
Local Society is arranging more than 300 Acres of Land for these Society
Owned Institutes.

These Society Owned Institutes will include Nursing Institute, Primary
Teachers Training Institute, B.Ed Training Institute, Industrial Training
Institute, Polytechnic Institute, Engineering Training Institutes, Medical
Science Institute, Paramedical Science Institute, Institute of Water and
others including a 1000 Beds Community Hospital.

To establish Social Ownership and Direct Social Governance, we are not
applying to get fund at any funding agency (government or non-government).
We are making efforts to establish Self-Sustained Social Models of Direct
Social Ownership and Direct Social Governance. Society is constructing these
institutes with her own Social Capital that proves Social Ownership. The
Decentralized Governing Committees will govern all these institutes. The
villages and individuals have started to form these decentralized governing
committees. These institutes will be self-reliance for their running and
maintenance expenses.

*In these institutes, 50% seats in each institute will be for Khagaria
District, within these 50% seats, poor students will get admissions with
various fee concessions according to the recommendations by villages
committees and governing committees. *

We started weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly discussions continuously with the
villagers to get their support about two years ago. We organized a big mass
meeting on 6th of October 2006 to expand public span for Social Governance's
self-sustained social models.

In last more than 60 years after political independence of India, our
political power, administrative power and market power systems established
only one thing in society that is-- *Social Mistrust.* To avoid the
negativities or reactions of Social Mistrusts, The Board of Conveners
decided that we would not accept any centralized fund or grant; we will not
apply for fund to any structured funding agency (either government or
non-government).  The Board decided that we will prefer to accept
non-currency contributions, particular village or particular individual
decides the utilization of contributions.

Slowly-slowly, we are moving forward to form continuous and periodic
contributions systems in each village of Khagaria District. These villages
collect periodic contributions and send their representatives to the
construction sites where they can decide to purchase construction materials
or any other uses for their contributions. *Some time they come to monitor
the works, some time we invite them to evaluate works. Thus, continuous
monitoring and evaluation process is going on directly by society.*

After the day of First Foundation Ceremony, in less than one year, we have
completed one Nursing Training Institute with hostels and we have started
first phase of community hospital.

*We are in continuous touch with Local Society by our Continuous Public
Communication Systems. *By these communication systems, we are in alive and
direct communication/ information systems with the local society. **

* Big Mass Meeting (About One Lac People) on 6th October
2006<http://www.localgovernance.org/workreport001msn2.html>
*

We organized a mass meeting on 6th of October 2007 at Khagaria, Bihar to
discuss these institutes based on social governance with the common public
openly. About, One Lac (100,000) persons attended this public meeting.

We talked to them that they could make ideal social model in this
*FARAKIA*region, we told them that if governments are not interested
in our
developments then why should we not work for our development by our own. We
have facing problems for last 60 years, we have been paying revenues, taxes
etc. Up to, how many years, we will wait for developments. We form
governments for us; society is much bigger than governments,
administrations, markets. All these structures were formed for the social
welfares, but because these systems are not accountable to the common
society thus society should start to establish Education Systems, Economy
Systems, Development Systems with social accountability under its own
supervision.

More than 80,000 people were hearing all these talks with patience. Up to
evening the public strength became more than 100,000 people.

* Continuous Public Communication System with Local
Society<http://www.localgovernance.org/workreport001msn3.html>
*

We publish a Multi Pages Periodical without name and registration. We
circulate Periodicals within Khagaria District. The circulation of
Periodical is about to 50,000 families of Khagaria (the total circulation
strength of all daily newspapers in whole Khagaria District is about 15,000
copies. Persons read our Periodicals with interests because they get a
direct talk to themselves by us time to time. To circulate our periodicals,
our volunteers reach each village, each block, each local market to
circulate Periodicals directly. We also use hawkers in urban and semi-urban
areas to circulate periodicals.

The name of institutes or any other important issue, we place in our
Periodicals and after reading these, people give their responses to us. By
these communication systems, local people are in Decision Making Systems
directly.

We are successfully using Continuous Public Communication System with Local
Society in Decision Making Processes directly.

* Foot March in Khagaria<http://www.localgovernance.org/workreport001msn4.html>
*

expand social discussions within each village of Khagaria; each corner of
FARAKIA region of Khagaria District; we did a primary march in two bikes in
whole district for 10 days.

*Foot March was necessary to get deep understanding about the real and
ground problems, issues and culture of local society*

We started an about one and half month long Foot March in Khagaria District.
We covered each block, each village Panchayat. We walked daily average more
than 30 Kms, we had not pre-planned foot march route. We were walking from a
village to next village continuously. Where we saw a group of some persons
in villages or in agricultural fields, we went them and discussed with them.
There were no shops in these villages to get food or tea, in many villages
there were no link roads. We had no food for us. We were walking in villages
in a non-planned manner. We did not know that in which village we would be
in night or at noon.

Unknown villages, unknown villagers gave us food and shelters. Villagers
were feeding us their best with love and respect even they were poor because
they felt that we were walking for them under too hot sun.

*We had decided that in foot march, we would not accept any penny from the
villagers because we are going to meet our bigger family.* *We decided that
we should not take food by one family; we preferred to take food in small
groups in different families of village. By this method, we did not become
burden on any family and we could generate direct family relationship with
the individual families of villages. *

We walked in those areas also, where none of political leaders, none of
administrative officers and none of NGO workers visited in last decades. We
were also welcomed warmly in Mushar Colonies, Dom Colonies (the lowest
castes of Hindu Society) and by poorest families. We preferred to accept
food by them. We are in continuous efforts to add last man of the society in
the Decision Making Systems of these Society Owned Institutes.

* Right to Information Activities
*<http://www.localgovernance.org/workreport001msn5.html>
* -- <http://www.localgovernance.org/workreport001msn5.html>(Society Owned
Information Centres) <http://www.localgovernance.org/workreport001msn5.html>
*

            Prafull Chandra Ghosh ji is our state representative for Right
to Information Activities in Bihar. He has been working on Rights for last
more than two decades without taking any fund or fellowship. He goes in
different villages daily in his Motor Cycle and distribute booklets,
pamphlets and stickers of RTI Act campaigning. He keeps 10 Rs Postal Orders
with him and he motivates villagers towards the uses of RTI Act. He
initiated the concept of Village Information Centres in Khagaria, later his
initiative was modified as Social Information Centres.

After Foot March, it was discussed that because state government and
government departments are not honest and responsible for the Right to
Information Act-2005. Also, they are not supportive to RTI Activities and
they are not following Indian Constitution. In Bihar, even after two years
of this act, there are not information about Public Information Officers in
many districts of Bihar.

It was discussed that why we should not establish Independent Social
Information Centres, in these social information centres, local village,
local block and local community will have information of government workings
according to the particular village and block level society and anytime
these information can be compared with government departments provided
information. In some villages, young students and youth started to campaign
RTI Act and they started non-formal Social Information Centres. We are
making effort to make these Information Centres financially independent.

(Work Report of Koya Wes on Social Governance in South Bastar, Chhattisgarh
will be published in one or two days)

love
Vivek Umrao <http://www.localgovernance.org/family.html>

( We invite you in Big Mass Meeting in Khagaria, Bihar.)
www.localgovernance.org/invitation.html