Cor,

Apparently you enjoy an argument. :-D

I wasn't going to write further to this thread, but apparently you
need to have the last word, and I don't see why you should. I'll
explain why below.

My only mistake in writing to the candidates was that I continued in
the threads they started on this SC list, and election rule #6 says,
"All discussion related to the elections should be held on
disc...@documentfoundation.org. Members are invited to ask questions
to one or all candidates on that list."

But that's maybe the candidates' fault, too, because I guess they
should have posted their candidate statements to the discuss list
rather than the SC list. No matter, further discussions about the
original subject can be continued there.

However, I just re-read the election rules and the bylaws, and there
is absolutely nothing to say that the questions I asked Thorsten,
Michael and Caolan were out of order. So you have absolutely no
justification in trying to lay down the rules about this.

This is an election, right? And the candidates are asking for our
votes and invited our questions, right? So I would say I'm entitled to
ask them whatever is close to my concerns and interests. And, for
their part, they have the right to answer what they like, or even not
to answer at all if that's their preference.

The rules that we all have to keep to are the rules of courtesy,
friendliness and decent behavior. From that viewpoint, I'm perfectly
within bounds.

So why do you feel that I'm only allowed to broach subjects that *you*
feel are acceptable? Don't you feel you're a little out of line here?
Because I definitely think you are.

I'm rather disappointed by the development of this thread.

And I don't think it was a welcome event in the first BoD election.

Please allow me to remind you of some relevant clauses of the community bylaws:

"There are no differences of equality between Members, even though
certain Members may be granted particular powers, appointed to certain
roles and responsibilities, and entrusted with access to certain
Community resources. Every Member is expected to always remember that
he/she is part of an egalitarian Community of which a key guiding
principle is public service, and that membership is a status which is
truly earned through contributive work, not something acquired by
unproductive activities such as idle posting to mailing lists and
forums, etc.

Every Member is expected to deal with other Community Members and with
our end users with courtesy, forbearance, objectivity,
open-mindedness, friendliness, understanding, patience and goodwill."

I don't think you're putting all that into practice.

Therefore, I'd propose that we don't post further to this thread and,
if you want to continue the discussion, we should continue on the
discuss list.

Sigh... We've lost many contributors to the project over the past 8-10
months, but I had thought that the upside of that shedding of
interested community members was that communication within the project
had improved to a more-mature level than the flaming discussions of
the first few months...

Please read the above as meant in a friendly manner, although I am
exercising my right to intellectually disagree with you. :-)

I regret that I won't be at the conference, or I would definitely buy
you a beer to show you that there are no hard feelings on my side. ;-)

--
David Nelson