Richard:
Thanks for the comments.
In the current framework, keywords have "symbols" as well as integer IDs:
https://boinc.berkeley.edu/keywords.php?header=c
https://boinc.berkeley.edu/keywords.php?header=python
This makes it easy to specify them e.g. in job-submission programs.

I think it's better not to encode hierarchy into the symbols,
because we may want to change the hierarchy over time:
e.g. to move Cosmology from Astronomy to Physics,
or create new levels.

This doesn't preclude hierarchical search;
it would be based on the actual hierarchy as encoded, e.g., in
https://boinc.berkeley.edu/keywords.php
rather than on symbols.

-- David