Keep in mind that there already is a "multiclient" GUI, namely BoincTasks.
It's excellent, but it's Win-only and is geared toward power users (lots of
info).

I think that the top priorities is malleability:
being able to easily change the layout, add/remove features etc.
We currently have the simple and advanced views;
we may need even simpler and more advanced views.

My choice would be HTML + Javascript,
and I've experimented in this direction by making GUI RPCs work with HTTP.
However this failed because of cross-domain rules in browsers.

Laurence Field for CERN is trying something similar using "WebSockets":
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/WebSockets_API
... which don't have the cross-domain restriction.
I'd recommend communicating with him.

Java is also a possibility though it would be hard to make it malleable.
The Android GUI is written in Java, and there are some pieces (e.g. RPC stubs) that could be used.

-- David