I had a similar problem a few weeks ago with a five year old brewtus IV. My
problem turned out to be the pressure relief valve that allows over
pressure in the group head to be vented back to the brew boiler. There is a
very small opening in the upper group head that had clogged, leaving very
high pressure spewing coffee in the portafilter and over temperatures at
the group head. I disassembled the upper group head and cleaned out the
small port and everything has been fine ever since.