At 12:31 AM 5/25/01 +0200 Sonja van Baardwijk-Holten wrote:
>I've heard this somewhere, but cannot remember where. When someone at the
>American treasury was asked by a foreign official why the heck they don't
>make any effort to make the almost mondial used American currency safer by
>making counterfitting it more difficult the man apperantly answered 'it is
>_our_ currency so if you have a problem with people counterfitting it _that_
>is your problem, so _you_ deal with it'. Anyone care to debunk or confirm
>that. <grin>

Never heard the quote, but over the past five years we have redesigned
almost all of our paper currency, such that each of the new bills is now
literally loaded with security features to prevent counterfeiting.

JDG
John D. Giorgis       -         [EMAIL PROTECTED]      -        ICQ #3527685
   "The point of living in a Republic after all, is that we do not live by
   majority rule.   We live by laws and a variety of institutions designed
                  to check each other." -Andrew Sullivan 01/29/01