> From: Nick Arnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On

> > http://www.miami.com/mld/miami/living/3757290.htm
>
> Eh?  How is this an attack on free speech?  I don't agree with the
tactics,
> but I don't exactly see Fox as a great defender of free speech, either.

It's an organization that is attacking forms of speech (in this example,
among others, TV shows), that they do not agree with, by any and all
means possible.  These are the same kinds of people that, like the
Taliban, would if they could, impose their religious views on everybody
and eliminate the first amendment.  In this particular case they are
trying to starve the show they are attacking of it's principal sponsors
and access to funds.

Here's a link showing the same kind of thing, in a different way:
http://www.ucomics.com/boondocks/2002/09/21/

Instead of attacking the speech itself they are attacking the ability of
those they are against to have that speech, they are attacking the medium
itself.  That is why it so much more despicable.

> Seems to me that anything that breaks down the concentration of power
in big
> media is a move toward greater freedom of speech, not less.

Yes.  But I don't see how this relates to that article.  With Michael
Powell in charge of the FCC, do you expect anything more than the
complete deregulation that has let 1 company (clear channel) buy 1200
radio stations?  It looks very much like the exact same thing is going to
happen to TV.  Already about a dozen or so media giants control 70-90% of
the media you read, listen to and watch.