[snip]

> I don't think drive-by bandwidth thieves are at all common around here yet
> either. Although in my urban environment there could be around 20
> households
> in range [guess] so I suppose that could be an issue.

Sounds like generous bandwidth sharing isn't at all common around there,
either.

I have an open wireless base and I've encouraged my neighbors to use it if
they wish.  If bandwidth consumption becomes a problem, I'll install
software to throttle it.

It is much more in the tradition of the Internet to be open about sharing
your connection, despite the need for managing such.

Nick