Jeroen van Baardwijk wrote:

>I also urge the list to discuss the matter of "list policy", so that we
>can reach a list-wide agreement on what behaviour will and will not be
>tolerated, and what steps should be taken if and when something happens
>that this list deems "unacceptable". IMHO, only a clear and
>well-documented list policy may prevent mayhem like these last few weeks
>from happening again.

Er, we have one? JoAnne's Etiquette Guidelines? Or has that changed? They
used to be up on your site, IIRC, but of course that's gone now. But they
were certainly useful as a roadmap to unacceptable behavior.

The only thing I'd add to them is: No reposting private messages to other
people without the permission of the original sender - with or without
disclaimer sigs. <grin> I have an intense distaste for this practice.
I've never *once* seen any good come of it.

The golden rule is *always* "Attack the post, not the poster".

I find it very useful to have guidelines rather than rules. Everyone
steps over the line at one point or another, and none of us want to get
dinged every time we make an off-color joke in the heat of an arguement.
It's when violating the guidelines becomes routine that it becomes
upsetting.

Kat Feete

'I've gone to hundreds of fortune-tellers' parlors, and have been
told thousands of things, but nobody ever told me I was a
policewoman getting ready to arrest her.'
        -- New York City Detective