From: "Nick Arnett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Official Statement
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 05:41:45 -0800

Baloney. Setting "Reply-To" to an address for which you don't have
permission *is* wrong and illegal in those places where forging headers has
been outlawed. And your supporting argument, that the "From" header is
visible, is simply untrue for many, many mailers.

It's not immediately visible in Hotmail (at least not under the default headers viewer -- there are advanced headers you can read that would say.) Outlook makes it visible (but not obvious) when I'm reading my Hotmail account. Makes no difference: there's an intent to deceive and that's wrong.

Nick, where and why would forging headers be outlawed? I'm not exactly up on net law, but this is the first I've heard of it? Have there been lawsuits or something or are you just loosely referring to TOS stipulations?

Just curious,
Jon