----- Original Message -----
From: "Marvin Long, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: African not "black" enough?

> On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Dan Minette wrote:
>
> > My "daughter" Nelli and I had a long talk last night about world
politics,
> > Africa, Europe, the US, land mines, Iraq, etc.  Toward the end of it we
> > discussed multi-generation African Americans.  She said that that she
has
> > been told repeatedly that she wasn't "black enough" because she takes
hard
> > classes, goes to model UN, etc., instead of "chilling."  She noted that
> > first generation African Americans do much better than muli-generation
> > African Americans.
> >
> > I've got a couple of questions about this:
> >
> > Is this a reasonable sample?
> >
> > Why?
>
> (Reggie sorta beat me to it, but I'll post what I was writing anyway.)
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "sample," but the phenomena you describe
> (accusations of being not-black-enough for failing to conform to certain
> social expectations) isn't new.  The term "oreo" leaps to mind, sadly.
> One doesn't have to be a first-generation African American to get hit
with
> this term, but such a person would be a prime candidate for not having
> assimilated the stereotypical behaviors of the subculture to which she
> appears to belong but really doesn't.

FWIW, she is not an African-American.  She is an African who intends to go
back home to live in Zambia.

> I wonder how much of the increased success of the first-generation
> immigrant should be attributed to a lack of native minority-specific
> burdens and/or hangups, and how much should be attributed to the
> likelihood that the set of voluntary immigrants probably includes a
higher
> proportion of people with resources and/or focused purpose than the
> native population as a whole.

 If it financial resources, the answer is probably not.  The folks I know
of from Africa are not anywhere close to well off.  Indeed, Nelli saves
money from her summer job to send money home, where the country is
devastated by a drought.  Even though her father is a professor, they
cannot afford meat very often at all.

Focused purpose is a better candidate, but Nelli tells me that such purpose
is more common in Africa as a whole.  IIRC, Gautam also points out that 2nd
and 3rd generation Jamacians do better than multi-generation African
Americans.

It is really interesting how much in common Nelli and I have considering
attitudes, ethics, work ethic, etc.  The main difference is that she was
raised in a much more conservative house than ours.

Dan M.