--- Ronn! Blankenship <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>  Deborah Harrell wrote:
> >--- Jon Gabriel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snipped>
[deb]Well, single-gene defects like "bubbleboy
disease"
> >(severe combined immune deficiency) are under
> >experimental 'attack' even as we speak (that
> protocol was temporarily halted when one of the ~9
>boys developed leukemia, but oversight panel(s) have
> since
> >reinstated the trial) - so the time for discussion
> is now.  A chromosomal mutation like Down's (trisomy
> 21),
> >on the other hand, doesn't appear amenable (to me)
> to gene therapy, although it is discoverable if
> chorionic
> >villi sampling or amniocentesis are done...
>
> Wouldn't the financial burden of raising a child
> with such problems without
> outside help perhaps effectively constitute an
> imposition of choice?

AFAIK, Medicare/Medicaid help a lot with these cases,
at least in the US.  I suspect nations with national
health care also give substantial financial aid.  In
the developing world, I don't think prenatal diagnosis
is available to the bulk of the populace.

[jon]> > I think the key word here is "offered".  Most
> > >...theories on this subject, IMO, seem
> paranoid...
> > > like our culture will force cures...
> > > If a _communicable_ disease threatens large
> > > population groups then we can
> > > logically expect to see vaccines and cures
> become mandatory by law.

[deb] >As is the case with school vaccines (although
> parents
> >can, in many states IIRC, opt out b/c of religious
> >beliefs), and treatment for tuberculosis is also
> >mandated (at least in the states I've worked in).
>
> However, some people don't complete the course of
> treatment, which has led
> to drug-resistant strains of TB.

Yes, which is why in at least some states there is
'directly observed treatment' (see prior post).

[jon]> > ...But, when a disease affects specific
groups
> and is
> > > non-communicable except from parent to child
> through genetics, then IMO
> > > such mandatory laws are highly unlikely to be
> > > enacted.
> >
> >Probably not, although courts do become involved in
> >the treatment of minors.  But what parent would not
> >want a cure for such devastating diseases?

> Christian Scientists?

I don't remember the affiliation of the western
Colorado group for which I posted a link earlier this
thread; there are several, however.

Debbi