----- Original Message -----
From: "Trent Shipley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, December 28, 2002 8:46 PM
Subject: Re: SCOUTED: Segway scooter hot seller online

> On Saturday 28 December 2002 07:14 pm, Erik Reuter wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 08:16:59PM -0600, Robert Seeberger wrote:
> > > I would imagine the Segways internal gyroscopic system would make it
> > > *hard* to trip.
> >
> > Want to bet? It it is going 10mph and hits an unmoving object at the
> > right height, it is going to pitch forward quite a bit, no question.
>
> At 10 mph it won't matter how well the personal mobility thingy is going.
> Induce any sudden acceleration and any unsecured mass is going to
continue on
> its last trajectory.
>
> Opinion:
>
> Given:
> It is right and proper that the disabled be able to use powered personal
> mobility devices in pedestrian traffic.
>
> Resolved:
> Therefore, in the interest of equity, anyone should be able to use
powered
> personal mobility devices wherever they are allowed.

Most of the people that I know who are disabled, including my wife, could
not use the Segway for more than a few minutes at a time. For my wife,
using a Segway for 5 minutes would be as hard or harder than walking 5
minutes.  A motorized wheelchair is much better for a handicapped person.
Depending on their control, I either expect them to be courteous to
pedestrians, or give way.

Dan M.