Jose said:

> I'm going to make my weekly expedition to Borders in a couple of days.
> I'd like to stock up on SciFi books. What's new and worthy out there?

I'm reading Alastair Reynolds' Conjoiner/Demarchist books at the moment.
The first one, _Revelation Space_ was a little disappointing but showed
quite a lot of promise. The third one, _Redemption Ark_ is a sequel to
_Revelation Space_ and is excellent so far. Those two are both big,
complex hard-sf space operas along the lines of Vinge's _A Deepness in
the Sky_. The second in the series, _Chasm City_, is a little
different: a revenge thriller that's smaller in scale. Here's a review
of it that I recently posted to my weblog:

I'm starting to really enjoy Alastair Reynolds' books. After a shaky
start in _Revelation Space_ (a novel that showed a lot of promise but
which was riven with flaws), he's hit his stride in _Chasm City_, which
is not a prequel to the earlier book although it is set some decades
earlier in the same Conjoiner/Demarchist universe. This time round, he's
not trying to cram a dozen wonders into a single novel, but just to tell
a good story. And it is a good story.

Tanner Mirabel has travelled across interstellar space from backward,
war-torn Sky's Edge to glorious, high-tech Yellowstone for one purpose:
murderous vengeance. His prey, we learn, has made the same journey with
the same motive. Neither find quite what they expect: while they were in
transit, the Yellowstone system has been devastated by the Melding
Plague, a disease that infects nanotechnology. Chasm City, once a
dazzling metropolis, is now a nightmare of twisted buildings,
lawlessness and decay, the stratifications of its architecture
reflecting the new and terrible stratifications of its society. It is a
place where power is the only law. The bulk of the novel tells of the
playing out of the various hunts. In the interstices of this story,
however, a second story is told in dreams induced by an "indoctrinal
virus". It tells of Sky Haussmann and the Flotilla that first carried
humans from Sol to Sky's Edge, and of the atrocity for which he was
crucified, and of something more mysterious.

There follows a long and complex series of intrigues and betrayals,
punctuated by bursts of violence. Indeed, the twists and turns of the
plot are so complex that I often found myself unable to remember who has
betrayed whom and why. Scattered through all this, there are many clues
that not all is as it seems. To say more would be to cut through the
Gordian's knot of identity and memory that lies at the story's heart.
Alas, at the climax Reynolds doesn't quite manage to cleanly untangle
this knot, and the jigsaw pieces of plot don't fit as smoothly as they
should. Nevertheless, it's an intense and interesting novel, well told
and full of invention. My hopes are high for _Redemption Ark_, which
returns to the matter of the Inhibitors and the struggles of various
human and transhuman factions.

After I finish with these, I'm going to read the second and third
volumes of Ken MacLeod's Engines of Light. Again, I thought the first
one, _Cosmonaut Keep_, didn't live up to the promise of his earlier
work but I've heard good things about the second and, especially, the
third.

Rich, who seems to be reading more history books than sf recently.