On Saturday, March 8, 2003, at 02:31 am, G. D. Akin wrote:

"Lalith Vipulananthan"

_Perdido Street Station_ is a steampunk fantasy (a term coined by John
Clute) and has a brilliantly imagined setting in the city of New Crobuzon.
My review of it is below. If you want the short version, a member of the
Culture List summed it up with the following:

Book. China Miville. Epic grimy creature-filled steampunk fantasy/horror
novel. Fabulous.

Counterpoint: "Perdido Street Station" Awful!

I quite liked it. Could have done with better editing. The usual outbreak of solecisms and homophones that seems to afflict every novel these days.

I haven't had to wade through
so much gunk since "Dahlgren."

I liked Dhalgren too! And it was good value, with all those pages...

I will say that he can write, he can show, but cannot tell an interesting
story and does not create likeable characters. PSS describes a world bereft
of hope.

I'm guessing you didn't (wouldn't) like Thomas M Disch's _The Genocides_ either then ?

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

tried it.