Erik Reuter wrote:

For non-US citizens, when it comes down to
it, I think their opinion doesn't really hold much weight with the Bush
administration. As for the "peace at any cost" US citizens, there aren't
enough to make a difference (about 10% according to an article I read).

Except for British and Australian protestors. Even though us sending a quarter of our fighters, half our tanker and awacs aircraft, and a third of our special forces is an incredibly puny contribution, it counts for a lot in terms of international credibility of the US position, and if protestors can sway either Blair or Howard, the US would be in a worse position than it would have been if neither had ever supported (in the sense that having a previously supportive friend announce you're wrong is much worse than an enemy announcing you're wrong...)

I don't think they will be swayed unless the wavering and bickering among the Europeans continues to drag it out. But at the moment Australian polls are consistently showing 70% reject war without UN sanction, and 70% support war with UN sanction, indicating 40% of Australians require the UN to approve any action. That's a big number for any government to ignore if they're getting lots of headlines.

Cheers
Russell C.