From: Alberto Monteiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I think the problem with both TOS and TNG - and this
is attenuated in DS9, Voyager and Enterprise - is
the number of God-like creatures they meet. I guess
1/4 of the TOS episodes have Kirk against God, and
TNG is infected by that ridiculous Q.

Alberto Monteiro

Hey, hey!! Don't mess with Q!!! :)

The idea of an omnipotent character is something that continually surfaces in Rodenberry's work. In TOS, it was Trelane, then Q. I found Trelane really annoying. But Q is a piece of work. I think John DeLancie plays it to perfection, and it provides a nice little foil for Picard.

I think the writers of the show eventually realized what Alberto is saying, though. I guess that's why Q and the Q Continuum are presented in a more vulnerable fashion in one of Voyager's most memorable episodes, "DeathWish".

After all, omnipotence *can* be boring sometimes...

JJ