At 11:29 PM 3/1/03 +0000, Jose J. Ortiz-Carlo wrote:
From: Ronn!Blankenship <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

If I have to choose between coding COBOL and coding RPG, I would much rather go for COBOL. I feel I can exercise a lot more control with a computer programming language that uses instructions that resemble natural language.

RPG is not really a programming language as such. As its name--Report Program Generator--says, it's designed to do one thing: create programs inside the computer to generate reports of the type businesses seem to live on. COBOL (COmmon Business Oriented Language) was designed to be a full programming language for business applications (though for non-business applications it may not be all that great).

-- Ronn! :)

I hate to digress, but RPG is openly defined as a programming language.

Thirty years ago, which is the only time I had anything to do with RPG, I heard it defined the way I described it. But they may well have changed the definition since then . . .

-- Ronn! :)

Almighty Ruler of the all,
Whose Power extends to great and small,
Who guides the stars with steadfast law,
Whose least creation fills with awe,
O grant thy mercy and thy grace,
To those who venture into space.

(Robert A. Heinlein's added verse to the Navy Hymn)