On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 03:38:56PM +0000, Robert J. Chassell wrote:

> And, since the US has more power than Iraq, economically, militarily,
> and culturally, from the point of view of a non-US government, the US
> presents a more pressing danger, even if, at the moment, it is much
> nicer than Iraq.  Hence, it makes sense to oppose the US, even in a
> morally justified endeaver, such as overthrowing the government of
> Iraq.

Do you think many French reason this way? I can understand being
concerned about excessive American power in general. But when
specifically compared to Hussein, do the French really think the
probability of the US attacking or subverting their country sometime
in the future is greater than the dangers posed by Hussein? If they
do assume the US is a likely future threat, then the rest of their
behavior follows rationally, but that seems a paranoid assumption to
make. Granted, America doesn't have the best track record at refraining
from supporting dictators and fascists in third world countries, but
that was often rationalized (rightly or wrongs) as being necessary to
oppose a greater evil (frequently communism, which is much less likely
to appear as a goad to America in the future). What likely future
situation would result in America taking such a position against FRANCE?

> The question here is whether this French policy is even worse than the
> `Solution Unsatisfactory' that Heinlein envisioned?

Seems that way. But then, I tend to favor creating, building, and
improving, rather than just complaining. Maybe the French think that
the EU can be such a solution. But the track record so far looks rather
poor.

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/