On Sunday, March 16, 2003 8:10 AM, Andrew Crystall wrote:

> On 15 Mar 2003 at 22:59, Han Tacoma wrote:
>
> > My opinion is that the French have the same misgivings as the American
> > Jewish community has:

I retract my _generalization_ of the American Jewish Community in the
context that I used it.

When I quoted from the New York Times,
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/15/national/15JEWS.html?th
I choose only one of the four (4) branches that Hannah Rosenthal,
executive director of the Jewish Council for Public Affairs described,
-- Reconstructionist; Reform; Conservative; and Orthodox, in the
article to make the point:
"the United States had 'gravely weakened the institutions of
internationalism so painstakingly erected after the Second
World War'."

> > | But some Jews are increasingly concerned about the lack of
> > | widespread international support for a pre-emptive strike, and
> > | skeptical that the United States can create a stable post-war
> > | government in Iraq.
> > |
> > | Rabbi Ismar Schorsch, chancellor of the Jewish Theological
> > | Seminary of America, the academic and spiritual center
> > | of Conservative Judaism, said at a lecture this week, "We live in a
>
> Ahem. Some points - he is conservative. His views also only reprisent
> a proportion of the *conservative* Jewish views. (I am Masorti, which
> is roughly the UK equivalent of Conservative). Please don't read any
> major (or even minor) overall Jewish stance into his viewpoints.

I realize that Rabbi Schorsch's views are his. While you don't indicate
what you mean by "proportion" (i.e. a percentage), it seems to me that
you are using the word as an implication -- that it is a minority -- to
justify your opinion that one should not read a stance. While holding the
posistion he does, I would hardly see him offering a view that would
contradict the feelings of the majority of that branch of conservatives,
and therefore I accept his statement as representative of that branch.

Cheers!
--
Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~