----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2003 9:48 AM
Subject: Re: Heinlein and current international politics L3

> On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 03:38:56PM +0000, Robert J. Chassell wrote:
>
> > And, since the US has more power than Iraq, economically, militarily,
> > and culturally, from the point of view of a non-US government, the US
> > presents a more pressing danger, even if, at the moment, it is much
> > nicer than Iraq.  Hence, it makes sense to oppose the US, even in a
> > morally justified endeaver, such as overthrowing the government of
> > Iraq.
>
> Do you think many French reason this way? I can understand being
> concerned about excessive American power in general. But when
> specifically compared to Hussein, do the French really think the
> probability of the US attacking or subverting their country sometime
> in the future is greater than the dangers posed by Hussein?

It depends on how subvert is interpreted.  The US had now taken France's
proper roll as the leading nation of the world. During the Cold War, France
has shown its importance by being as uncooperative an ally as possible
while remaining an ally...kicking US soldiers out of France but working
with the US on its own terms.  After the Cold War, the power and prestige
of the US as the only superpower grew, and its need to coax France into
cooperating lessened.

So, to improve France's relative positon in the world, France needs to take
the US down a peg.  Gautam's comment about other people being able to
critique his idea that relative position is the key to a nation's actions
referes to a rather long paper (100 pages) he wrote about this subject.**
(As an aside, I think that every country does not operate under this
paradigm, but I'll agree France does).  France sees a strong US as a threat
to its natural place in the order of things.

> What likely future situation would result in America taking such a
position against FRANCE?

I think the real fear is a cultural attack, that the French will become
Americanized by their exposure to such horrors as "le weekend".

Dan M.

**If you want a copy of this thesis, please send 25 cents and a self
addressed envelope to Merkle Press