"Marvin Long, Jr." wrote:

> And yet.  I feel that this particular course of action, and this
> particular timing, has pretty much been force-fed to the American people
> by a propaganda campaign based on scanty facts and half-truths to convince
> us all that Hussein presents to America the same degree of threat today
> that al Qaeda presented on Sept. 10, 2001.  I feel the object of an, "If
> you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit"  campaign.
> Which in turn makes me feel that the options for creating a broader world
> consensus for action existed and were deliberately discarded before they
> were ever explored.  Why?

I just came across this article that explores Bush's ineffective diplomacy and
the reasons behind it, and had been debating whether to post it.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2003-03-17-anti-diplomacy-usat_x.htm

Right or wrong, Bush stuck to his instincts

By Judy Keen, USA TODAY, 3-17-03

WASHINGTON - More than any other episode in his presidency, the
diplomatic battle at the United Nations over war with Iraq put President
Bush's strengths and flaws on stark display.

To the president, most issues are matters of right or wrong, good or evil. He
has great faith in his own impulses: "I'm an instinct player," he once said in
an interview. After he decides on a course of action, Bush moves forward
with little vacillation or retrospection. Those who disagree are simply
mistaken.

Bush's friends consider those traits a sign of confident leadership. Vice
President Cheney said Sunday on NBC's Meet the Press that he likes the
idea of having a president who practices "cowboy" diplomacy.

"He cuts to the chase, he is very direct, and I find that very refreshing,"
Cheney said.

But Bush's critics say the president practices bulldozer diplomacy -
arrogant, disrespectful and sometimes naive.

"This administration has all the diplomatic subtlety of an Abrams tank," says
Ted Galen Carpenter, a foreign policy analyst at the libertarian Cato Institute,
a Washington think tank. "It tends to demand accommodation by other
countries and it throws the foreign-policy equivalent of a temper tantrum
when it does not get its way."

In his unsuccessful effort to win U.N. Security Council approval of a new
resolution paving the way for war with Iraq, Bush often ignored diplomatic
protocol:

     Instead of hashing out disputes with longtime allies France, Germany
     and Russia behind closed doors, he publicly challenged them to a
     showdown that he seemed almost to relish.
     He tried to bully reluctant leaders, such as Mexican President
     Vicente Fox, an old pal from Bush's days as Texas governor, into
     joining him. Bush's aides were scornful of those who declined. Last
     week they openly mocked France, noting with sarcasm that it
     rejected a British compromise even before Saddam Hussein did.
     Bush embarrassed some countries, including Turkey, by failing to
     keep confidential his offerings of aid and other considerations in
     exchange for support.
     His undeterred march to war has already claimed diplomatic
     casualties. Bush's most steadfast ally, British Prime Minister Tony
     Blair, who led the battle for a U.N. resolution opening the door to war,
     faces strong objections and sinking approval ratings at home. Former
     British foreign secretary Robin Cook, the appointed Leader of the
     House of Commons, resigned from the British government Monday in
     opposition to Blair's push for war.
     Instead of establishing and sticking to a rationale for an unprovoked
     war with Iraq, Bush offered a shifting series of reasons and left the
     impression that he was searching for one that would close the sale.
     He started with the idea that the Saddam regime must be removed
     because of the threat of chemical and biological weapons, then moved
     on to Iraq's violations of its citizens' human rights, Saddam's
     supposed links to the al-Qaeda terrorist network, then argued that
     ousting Saddam would aid peace in the Middle East, and finally the
     imperative that the United States defend itself from the threat of
     Iraq-sponsored terrorism.
     He challenged the United Nations to prove its relevance by endorsing
     war with Iraq, then said he would go to war whether he got the
     endorsement or not.

Only in the final week before the Security Council vote did Bush embark
intently on diplomacy. By that point, most of his advisers had given up on an
outright victory. They were hoping for the nine votes needed to pass a
resolution, so that despite France's veto Bush could say a majority of the
Security Council backed war. He choreographed a series of phone calls - his
own and dozens by Secretary of State Colin Powell and national security
adviser Condoleezza Rice - to the leaders of nations represented on the
Security Council and other heads of state who might have influence over
them.

It was too late. By the end of last week, the deadline Bush had set for a U.N.
vote, the United States had not been persuasive enough. Lack of support
forced him to postpone a call for a vote and raise the prospect that the
resolution might be withdrawn.

Eight days earlier, he had demanded that the Security Council nations "show
their cards" regardless of whether there were enough votes for passage.

Last Friday, the last-ditch scramble for support became transparent: Bush
announced plans for Sunday's summit with Blair and Spanish President Jose
Maria Aznar in the Azores. He also popped into the White House's Rose
Garden to repeat his call for a Palestinian state. That was a blatant entreaty
to allies who complain that Bush is neglecting the Israeli-Palestinian crisis.

Relationships strained

Through it all, Bush showed a lack of diplomatic finesse and a "tough-guy moral
certainty," says Donald McHenry, a U.S.
ambassador to the United Nations during the Carter administration. As a result, the
United States' role at the United Nations
and relationships with some longtime allies have been severely wounded, he says. Most
ominously, it might have increased
the likelihood that countries such as North Korea and China will claim the same right
to pre-emptive military action against
perceived threats.

"We'll have to build (relationships) up again. We will discover that we've done some
damage to international law and that
others will seek to use the precedents and rationalizations that we've used," McHenry
says. "We're going to have some
damage to the United States and its image worldwide."

Martin Indyk, a U.S. ambassador to Israel in the Clinton administration, says Bush's
diplomacy has been marked by "an
overweening arrogance that is a product of a combination of righteousness, pride and
passion."

Bush believes he's leading a vital mission that is too urgent for the time-consuming
etiquette of traditional diplomacy. If Iraq
is not confronted now, he said on March 6, "free nations would assume immense and
unacceptable risks. The attacks of Sept.
11, 2001, showed what the enemies of America did with four airplanes. We will not wait
to see what terrorists or terrorist
states could do with weapons of mass destruction."

Bush's pedigree and experience seem like the biography of a natural diplomat. His
father, George H.W. Bush, was U.S.
ambassador to the United Nations and liaison to China before he became vice president
and president. After Saddam invaded
Kuwait in 1990, the elder Bush patiently assembled a coalition to kick him out and won
the United Nations' backing. The elder
Bush phoned so many world leaders to appeal for their help that he was nicknamed "the
mad dialer."

The current president's background would seem to have supplied the start for
developing similar skills. In prep school, he was
head cheerleader and commissioner of stickball. At Yale, he was president of the Delta
Kappa Epsilon fraternity. During his
tenure as Texas governor and during the 2000 presidential campaign, he was praised for
his amiability, relaxed attitude and
ability to build relationships with lawmakers of both political parties. He campaigned
as someone who would be "a uniter, not a
divider."

Since moving into the White House, though, he has been impatient with formalities and
showmanship that traditionally mark
presidents' relationships with their peers. Stiff photo opportunities bore him. On
overseas trips, he asks his aides to spare him
the superficial chitchat with heads of state that he disparages as "small talk in big
rooms." Critics abroad complain that he
believes he can order around other heads of state.

Bush demonstrated his conviction in his own clout soon after taking office. He halted
the Clinton administration's cautious
outreach to North Korean leaders and refused to meet with Palestinian leader Yasser
Arafat. He withdrew from the Kyoto
Protocol, an international agreement to slow global warning, and announced his
intention to scrap the 1972 Anti-Ballistic
Missile Treaty so he could develop and deploy a missile-defense system. Those moves
irritated the leaders of two nations
now standing against him on Iraq: German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder, a strong
supporter of the Kyoto treaty, and Russian
President Vladimir Putin, who gave up the ABM Treaty only reluctantly.

Bush raised eyebrows again when he said of Kim Jong Il "I loathe him" and called the
North Korean leader a "pygmy."

After the Sept. 11 attacks, Bush's peers put their qualms aside to join him in the
fight against terrorism. But some of them
cringed when he said he wanted al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden captured "dead or
alive" and lamented his lack of subtlety
when he notified the world that in the war on terror, "Either you're with us or you're
against us."

There were more misgivings after Bush called Iraq, Iran and North Korea the "axis of
evil" in his 2002 State of the Union
speech. Christopher Patten, foreign affairs commissioner for the European Union,
warned then that U.S. victories in
Afghanistan "reinforced some dangerous instincts ... that the U.S. can rely only on
itself and that allies may be useful as an
optional extra." German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer complained, "Alliance
partners are not satellites."

Bush is not the first president to sprinkle rhetorical spice into public
pronouncements. Ronald Reagan once used a catchphrase
from a Clint Eastwood movie to warn Congress not to consider raising taxes: "Go ahead.
Make my day." Reagan also startled
allies when he labeled the Soviet Union "the evil empire" in 1983. He was criticized
for his blunt language, too.

Unwavering confidence

Bush believes his job requires him, above all, to make decisions and enforce them. He
doesn't spend much time tiptoeing
around egos or fretting about hurt feelings. Author Bob Woodward asked him to assess
his diplomatic skills for the 2002 book
Bush at War. "I kind of picture myself as a pretty good diplomat, but nobody else
does," Bush said. "You know, particularly, I
wouldn't call me a diplomat."

But Bush possesses unwavering confidence in his moral compass. He believes that Saddam
will always be evil and must be
removed. He also believes he has been called to lead the nation and the world in this
task. That conviction stems in part from
his religious beliefs. "My faith sustains me because I pray daily. I pray for guidance
and wisdom and strength," he said. His
advisers say his determination was forged in the rubble of the Sept. 11 terrorist
attacks: He decided then that he would do
anything and everything necessary to prevent another assault on America - even if it
cost him his personal popularity and his
shot at a second term, a close adviser says.

Bush's admirers say that self-assurance is the hallmark of a leader. "He's being firm
and reasonable, direct without engaging
in personal attack," says Larry Wortzel, an international policy analyst at the
Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank
in Washington.

Critics say the moral certitude is arrogant. Steven Lamy, director of the School of
International Relations at the University of
Southern California, says Europeans are put off by "Bush's absolutism - his
for-us-or-against-us attitude."

Unlike his father, Lamy says, Bush "doesn't see the very complex strategy of using a
combination of carrots, sticks and
sermons. ... He doesn't practice assertive multilateralism, which is taking the lead
and pulling people along no matter how
reluctant they are."

Says John Podesta, a chief of staff in the Clinton White House: "The blunt talk that
the American people like and now expect
from the president ends up being a real obstacle to pulling together the international
community."

Others wonder whether Bush's public bravado conceals deeper doubts. McHenry sees a
nagging sense of inadequacy beneath
the surface of Bush's stubbornness. "He's trying to prove to himself that he's not a
fluke" who rode his father's coattails into
the Oval Office after a disputed election, the veteran diplomat says.

'Do what you think is right'

A quick and decisive victory over Iraq would curtail, at least for a time, criticism
of Bush's diplomatic style. But foreign policy
experts say the opinions and divisions formed during the Iraq debate will shadow Bush
for the rest of his time in office and
make some challenges more difficult: He will need the help of the United Nations to
rebuild Iraq and to rein in North Korea's
nuclear ambitions. He will have to enlist the support of allies to define a path to
peace between the Israelis and Palestinians.
He needs to be on speaking terms with estranged allies, including Schroeder and French
President Jacques Chirac, when he
meets with them at a economic summit in Evian, France, in June.

Carpenter anticipates "subtle coalitions developing against the United States that
will seek to erode our power." For example,
he says, Russia may resist U.S. efforts to stop selling nuclear technology to Iran or
feel emboldened to crack down on
separatists in Chechnya. France and Germany may seek more ties to Iran and trade
agreements may be harder to negotiate,
he says.

"At a time of our maximum power, we're seeing a waning of our influence," says Lee
Feinstein of the Council on Foreign
Relations, who served in Clinton's State Department. "That affects our ability to lead
and to get what we want and need from
others."

Bush's friends and close aides say he is mindful of all those concerns. But his gut is
driving his march to war. "You've just got
to do what you think is right, and just make the decisions based upon noble causes,"
Bush told USA TODAY last month. "And
a noble cause is peace and security and freedom."