At 12:33 2003-03-27 -0500, Dean wrote:
I find it difficult to determine the reasons for the fence sitting posture of
the current Canadian government with regard to the Iraq war (does this war have
a name yet?). It must be one or a combination of the following:

- trying to follow public opinion in an election year

- trying to remain a global citizen. It is just not Canada's style to support a
preemptive war without UN support
I actually think that Chrétien has gone with his principles on this issue.  He
wants to have an actual 'international community' and believes the UN is the
closest thing to getting one.

- Canadian soldiers have already died under American bombs in Afghanistan.
Perhaps there is a little fear of troops working under US air cover in Iraq
when they will just be providing a token presence anyway

I don't think so. If this was a reason, we'd hear a lot more about it.

- I can't think of any more right now.

And speaking of public opinion. I am starting to wonder where this anti-war
majority is in Canada. Most people I talk to and those I hear on talk radio
consider it a necessary task and support the coalition forces.

Of course, this depends on what channel you listen to. Let's just say that if you were in Québec, you'd have the opposite experience. Maybe you're in Alberta?

Whats next? Freedom bacon?

Dean

Jean-Louis
"Alberta, the other secessionist province"