On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:10:03 -0500, Jean-Louis Couturier wrote:

>I actually think that Chrétien has gone with his principles on this issue.  He
>wants to have an actual 'international community' and believes the UN is the
>closest thing to getting one.

You are probably right. As inconsistent as his comments have been, he has
always stated support for the UN. I don't disagree with this, but it is a risk
when you are looking at pissing off your closest trading partner.

>>- Canadian soldiers have already died under American bombs in Afghanistan.
>>Perhaps there is a little fear of troops working under US air cover in Iraq
>>when they will just be providing a token presence anyway

>I don't think so.  If this was a reason, we'd hear a lot more about it.

Just speculating here. I haven't heard Chretien strongly object to the US's
position. In fact this week, he defended their right to proceed with this war.
I have heard that the Canadian Navy is much more capable of integrating with US
forces than the army. This might explain the naval presence in the Gulf while
avoiding contributing ground forces. I can't read his mind but just staying out
of their way might be a consideration.

>>And speaking of public opinion. I am starting to wonder where this anti-war
>>majority is in Canada. Most people I talk to and those I hear on talk radio
>>consider it a necessary task and support the coalition forces.

>Of course, this depends on what channel you listen to.  Let's just say that
>if you were in Québec, you'd have the opposite experience.  Maybe you're in
>Alberta?

Southern Ontario.

>Jean-Louis
>"Alberta, the other secessionist province"

Probably predictable after the Kyoto debates, but it seems that that came out
of nowhere. Then again, I don't always manage to stay on top of current
politics.
Dean