"John D. Giorgis" wrote:

> At 10:38 PM 4/2/2003 -0600 Julia Thompson wrote:
> >Furthermore, the actual political entity with which we'd entered into the
> >treaty in the first place no longer existed.
>
> In fairness, the Russian Federation is regarded in almost every other arean
> as the successor to the USSR.
>
> While the above argument was used by many conservative commentators, I
> never found that particular argument to be truly serious.

Take it as a tack in the coffin.  (Not even a nail.)

The world *is* a different place than it was when the treaty was signed,
and the US extraction *was* legal and reasonable under the terms of the
treaty.  (Whether it was reasonable in the context of the minds of
everyone is another question entirely.)

        Julia