Thanks, Jan!
Once again, you trumped me. I was drafting a message about what the
difference (as I was taught) between an idea, theory and hypothesis, and you
beat me to it (This was in response to Erik cutting me some slack on my use
of "theory").

 I would only add that hypothesis should only be used in the context of
fulfilling the initial requirement for the scientific method process, and
theory is used in place of proof, if a proof is not complete or not
possible.
At least this is what I was taught in High school science, for what that's
worth.
Nerd From Hell