On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 12:15:50PM -0700, Chad Cooper wrote:

> Once again, you trumped me. I was drafting a message about what the
> difference (as I was taught) between an idea, theory and hypothesis,
> and you beat me to it (This was in response to Erik cutting me some
> slack on my use of "theory").
>
>  I would only add that hypothesis should only be used in the context
> of fulfilling the initial requirement for the scientific method
> process, and theory is used in place of proof, if a proof is not
> complete or not possible.  At least this is what I was taught in High
> school science, for what that's worth.  Nerd From Hell

You are correct that hypothesis (or conjecture or idea) would have
been more precise. I will endeavor to pick my words more carefully in
the future.  However, my usage of "theory" is not incorrect, according
to American Heritage Dictionary. I was using it in the context of
definition #6.  And it is pretty clear you are disingenous. You may
want to start a competition, but I do not. Feel free to point out
imprecisions in my word choices in the future, and I will endeavor to
improve.

the·o·ry    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (th-r, thîr)
n. pl. the·o·ries

   1. A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of
   facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or
   is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural
   phenomena.

   2. The branch of a science or art consisting of its explanatory
   statements, accepted principles, and methods of analysis, as opposed
   to practice: a fine musician who had never studied theory.

   3. A set of theorems that constitute a systematic view of a branch of
   mathematics.

   4. Abstract reasoning; speculation: a decision based on experience
   rather than theory.

   5. A belief or principle that guides action or assists comprehension
   or judgment: staked out the house on the theory that criminals
   usually return to the scene of the crime.

   6. An assumption based on limited information or knowledge; a
   conjecture.

[Late Latin theria, from Greek theri, from theros, spectator  : probably the, a
viewing + -oros, seeing (from horn, to see).]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language,
Fourth Edition Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/