At 03:55 PM 6/23/03 -0400, Jean-Louis Couturier wrote:
At 07:31 2003-06-23 -0700, Nick wrote:
> [...]

The Reformation was much more about the inverse -- living people asking the
Pope to intervene on the part of the dead.  That was the primary abuse that
got Luther going.  The indulgence sellers were invoking the voices of the
dead, begging their living relatives to pay Rome to get them into heaven.

Nick

This is still going on, in a manner of speaking. One may purchase "masses" for deceased loved ones. It is customary to do so at the anniversary of the death. This has become a way for churches and religious orders to raise money.

Imagine the monks of St-Benoît praying for your grandparents in
gregorian chants and you may find that this is not so evil after
all, especially when you know that the monks in question have
sworn an oath of poverty.

Is there a belief, either official or unofficial, that they cannot get into heaven without that process?

-- Ronn! :)

God bless America,
Land that I love!
Stand beside her, and guide her