On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 01:34 PM, Gautam Mukunda wrote:

--- Jan Coffey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
For a long time custer was considered by history to
have been very brave and
a good warior. As it turns out he wasn't.
               Jan William Coffey
He wasn't?  While he wasn't exactly brilliant in his
final campaign, Custer's Civil War record is pretty
impressive.  You don't make Major General at 23 by
accident.  He did that after having _13_ horses shot
out from under him.  I would describe that as "very
brave" under any circumstances.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Freedom is not free"
http://www.mukunda.blogspot.com

Indeed, Custer's personal courage has never been questioned. As for his tactical abilities, well........he got himself and 200 troopers killed. You decide.
For interested persons, Discovery Channel's Unsolved History will examine the Battle of the Little Big Horn on July 23. If you haven't seen the series, check it out. You may not agree with the conclusions presented, but I believe you will find the process fascinating.

john