I think what Jan was referring to in his post about Custer was not the man's personal bravery nor his skills (or lack thereof) of a tactician. I think what he was referring to was the concept of the Last Stand as a heroic battle to the last. The reality, of course, is that Custer vastly underestimated his enemies, and he was there to kill them in a long series of conflicts that is sometimes compared to the Holocaust.

The idea of a heroic Indian fighter is out of fashion these days, for good reason.

Damon.