>By 2050, I fully expect full-spectrum anti-agathic treatments, a mature
>nanotechnology, human-equivalent AI and so forth.

Drexler himself recently responded to Richard Smalley's claim that Molecular
manufacturing is a pipedream. Drexler is still confident we will have
molecular assemblers, but it will take longer that he first predicted.
If you are referring to large-scale nanotechnology like MEMS, well, its here
today.
Recently I saw an add from Forbes mag of a new mag they have that provides
investment advice to those who want to invest in nanotechnology.

 Given all that, I
>think the demographic arguments won't count for much. Need more
>workers? Just manufacture some more human-grade AIs, etc. etc.

AI is tough to do. I would say we don't need human grade AI. I mean, who
wants to deal with a bunch of (depressed) Marvin's....

However, I have stated on my resume that if I was to go back to school, I
would either study Nanomedicine or AI pathology. I'm optimistic!

Nerd from Hell
Born-again Extropian