I know that this list was originally started as a list dedicated to
discussion of specific authors and their books, so I thought I would bring
up a topic that is closer to being actually on topic in the little time that
I have to compose email today (at least part of the reason that I haven't
replied to other threads).

I have been reading more than usual recently.  Mostly because the air
conditioner I have in my room sucks, so leaving my computer on all day makes
the room intollerably hot on days when the air conditioner is not working
the way it should.  It started with reading _Dragonseye_ by Anne McCaffrey
(one of the Pern novels).  That was followed by reading _Do Androids Dream
of Electric Sheep_ by Phillip K. Dick.  After that I read _/_ by Greg Bear.
I am currently reading _Expendable_ by James Alan Gardner.

I wanted to ask those who have read some/many of the Pern novels a question.
I have only read _Dragonseye_ and _The Dolphins of Pern_.  The question I
have is:  Are the events in some of the other pern books more epic?  Let me
elaborate for clarity.  I liked the books, but I found them to be a little
lacking in the end because there never seems to be any grand, exciting
events in the stories.  No major climax to the story.  Are the other Pern
novels similar, or are there better ones?

On the topic of _/_ by Greg Bear, I may start another thread later about
that book, but I wanted to ask, for those who have read more of Greg Bear's
books if _/_ represented a One of Greg Bear's better books, was on par with
most of his books, or were his other books superior?  I ask because I quite
liked that novel.  It was a bit like pushing a heavy item on wheels.  It was
a little hard to start reading (mostly because the events at the begining
are so disjointed), but once momentum was built up (and events started to
tie together), it was difficult to stop reading it.  If some people would
care to recommend some other Greg Bear books, that would be appreciated.

Reading  _Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep_ was interesting and painful.
Worth reading once in my opinion, but it is a book I probably won't read
again.

Michael Harney
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because
he had achieved so much... the wheel, New York, wars, and so on, whilst all
the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.
But conversely the dolphins believed themselves to be more intelligent than
man for precisely the same reasons." - Douglas Adams