[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Well Koufax, Bob, a pretty knowledgeable baseball guy,
> said that Pedro was better than he was.  That's worth
> something too, don't you think?

He's just being modest. But yes I would take that very seriously.

> Bob, I have some idea of what a phenomenally
> accomplished doctor you are.
Don't believe everything you hear from impressionable young men. It is all smoke and
mirrors.

 I'm just asking that you
> to apply the same sort of rigorous thinking to
> something that is much easier to analyze - if you put
> your emotions aside.
>
> Let's say I was a pharma rep for GSK trying to sell
> you on Zocor.  If I came to you and told you how great
> Zocor was, I'm guessing that you would demand the
> clinical data.  If I hemmed and hawed for a while, and
> then finally admitted that, well, the clinical data
> says that Lipitor is stronger, what would you say?  If
> I told you about how these great doctors (from before
> Penicillin was invented, or the role of cholesterol in
> heart disease was discovered) all thought Zocor was
> stronger, that might impress you a little bit, I
> guess.  And I could tell you stories about that time
> Lipitor didn't do anything for my friend's cholesterol
> problem, but Zocor cleared it right up.  But if the
> M&M data said that Lipitor has better life-extending
> results (which I think it does) and the clinical data
> said that it was stronger at lowering LDL and raising
> HDL (which I'm pretty sure it is) then would you
> prescribe Zocor to your patients just because I told
> you it was wonderful?  I hope not.
You raise an interesting point; one that goes beyond the fun of two bull headed people
arguing for its own sake. What is the nature of proof? Now clearly anecdotal evidence
is not as good as quantitative measure but the difficulty is in determining what you
are trying to quantify. The drug analogy is edifying. It is the best case scenario for
this sort of comparison. it is relatively easy to set up an experiment where the
effects of a drug can be measured objectively. In your example we would use
cholesterol level as our primary outcome. But this would actually be just a surrogate
for our real outcome, reduction of heart attacks and strokes. Since measuring the true
outcome is trickier more expensive and too time consuming we use surrogates. That is
fine but this requires a judgement on what that surrogate should be. In this case in
addition to primary outcome measure we would need to have secondary measures (e.g side
effects). We would need to make some subjective judgements about which outcome is most
important. Things are even more complex in my field where it is difficult if not
impossilbe to measure some outcomes. Diagnostic efficacy sensitivity specificity
positive and negative predictive value are all used to assess the value of diagnostic
imaging tests. But I remain deeply skeptical that these tools tell us much that we
don't know from daily clinical experience. Most of the science I have done might best
be described as the art of medicine. I use statistics in my work but I know that
sometimes they fail to provide clear information. Several years ago I reviewed a very
complex paper on imaging of Multiple Sclerosis submitted to the New England Journal of
Medicine. It concluded that MR was not all that useful in detecting and characerizing
MS when compared to clinical evaluation. They had the stats to prove it. But my own
experience told me this was simply wrong. I understood the data and knew why the
authors had come to an erroneous conclusion but the fact of the matter was that the
paper did not reflect clinical reality and subsequent experience showed this to be
correct. I am no genius nor am I someone who automatically trusts my judgement above
others but I knew that the conclusions of the paper were wrong because of my direct
experience in interpretting studies and dealing with neurologists.

> You said that Pedro and Koufax both had the best ERA
> possible.  But that's not really true, is it?  Gibson
> had a better ERA than Koufax at least once - much
> better.
Gibson had the single greatest season a pitcher can have (68). Is ERA was about one
run difference from Koufax. So my point is I think correct. 1.5-2.0 is about the best
you can do. Rarely you can do a bit better.

Since I may time out on gd aol I'll continue in the next post

  There's one yardstick for you right