In a message dated 7/11/2003 11:07:15 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Yeah, that's my entire point.  He's a fine running
> back.  But it takes more than that to be "the best ever".

Well how about Jim Brown. Walked away from football still in his prime after several
dominant years. Some people say he was the best ever. Played in a different era so
hard to compare to current players. But he was just that much better than everyone
else. I think that is my point. In comparing eras lots of things change. But there
will still be a mean of skill and a distribution. It seems to me that Koufax was
several standard deviations above the mean, a few more than Pedro or anyone else. By
the way by your criteria of greatness Newton and Einstein could not be considered
amoung the greates physicist ever. Each had one breakout year and a few years of major
productivity. Both kind of faded after that. It is accomplishment not longevity that
makes one great (although longevity is in itself an accomplishment).